Sunday, August 2, 2020

swirling skies

I sat on the edge of the sofa, eyes glued to my tablet as I toggled through a few weather apps. We had a tornado warning so we wanted to be prepared. Grace was already in her carrier and the dogs were leashed, ready to be dragged down the dreaded stairs into our safe room.


Blobs of red streamed over our little dot on the map, finally, by 5:30 we were in the clear. I think we all breathed a sigh of relief and immediately the dogs started thinking about supper.


Aside from the excitement in the late afternoon it was a laid back day. The sound of rain on the leaves of the trees outside our bedroom window lulled me into a long doze before I finally extracted myself from bed. 


Adia got to earn lots of treats (Spike too) this afternoon practicing ‘mat’ and long downs. It went well - she made it to 5 minutes with distractions - not bad for a first day of retraining. I foresee lots more practice over the next few days!


a rainy day for Adia too


oh oh… 8:30 and dogs are back on their leashes as we wait for another series of thunderstorms to pass us by… 9:00 it’s passed us by again but I’m leaving the leashes on the dogs for a bit, but will retrieve our flashlights and my phone from the closet in the basement.


I feel that having a proper room in the basement to retreat to and just chill would be good. As it is I’m sitting on the edge of my seat for hours.


 

 Headline tonight: 4,813,647 cases with 158,365 deaths in the US. There are a total of 116,884 (116,599 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 8,945 (8,941 yesterday) deaths today.



“The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color.”

~Natalie Babbitt

No comments: