Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mass

Wednesday night was the family’s mass for Carm’s dad – it was in the same church that Carm & I got married, as well as where Carm’s dad’s funeral was held. It is down in “Little Italy” and has a large Italian congregation, in fact the mass was almost entirely in Italian. It reminded me of when I was a girl and went to my friends church where the service was totally in Latin (I never got that – wouldn’t you want the congregation to know what was being said?). So I just sat back (or stood or kneeled) and enjoyed looking at the decorations of the church. As I was sitting there the chorus from Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah played in my head.

I was going to include the version sung by Rufus Wainwright, but honestly, after I listened to the one sung by Leonard Cohen (he wrote it) I had to include the writer’s version. No one can sing it like Leonard. Most of the lyrics aren’t fitting for a church post (in fact they have strong sexual overtones), but the chorus does (Hallelujah) and anyway I totally love this song (and anything else song by Leonard).

 

Today’s word of the day is lenient (LEEN-yunt adjective - 1: exerting a soothing or easing influence : relieving pain or stress ; 2: of mild and tolerant disposition; especially : indulgent). We went to get our hair cut today at the local barber shop. It seems that everyone with a bunch of kids had the same idea. I think that parents are much more lenient with their children’s behaviour in public than they were when I was growing up. Or maybe I’m just getting old and cranky…

There's no life without humour. It can make the wonderful moments of life truly glorious, and it can make tragic moments bearable.
Rufus Wainwright

No comments: