Friday, July 29, 2011

Idle Seashore of the Mind

The days have begun to blend into the sameness that can only be experienced on a summer holiday by the water. A lot of time is spent sitting and watching the changing show that the lake and sky puts on. It is a perfect backdrop to quiet meditations and reading.

Yesterday we had our big indulgence of the vacation – Seafood platter at Captain George’s – a real fat fest that has to be experienced once a year. It left us feeling stodgy and lethargic for the rest of the day, but that fit in perfectly with our planned activities :-)  No big long walk for us yesterday.

Today is a grey, drizzly day, perfect for getting ready to have a few friends come up for the weekend. With menus to plan and grocery lists to compile the computer is busy  (I can’t seem to do anything without my trusty laptop with its ability to help me organize – if only I had a printer with us). Oh yeah, and liquor store shopping lists too – must stock up on the marg ingredients and this really funky cooler that tastes exactly like an orange creamsicle! It is going to be really hard work having company and having to eat all that good/bad food and drink all that horrible booze… do you feel sorry for me at all ;-)

One of the things I may make is a Cucumber Black Bean Mango salad that I tried for the first time the other day. It was a tasty refreshing change and it has all healthy ingredients. See, everything isn’t a bad eat. It has fresh lime juice, a jalapeno, cucumber, mango, cilantro, and of course black beans – super easy. I think it will be a nice accompaniment to a coriander flat-bread done on the grill, and margs (of course).

Or maybe I’ll try the Black Bean and Tomato salad with Quinoa, except I’ll change the quinoa to couscous as I can’t seem to get Quinoa here. What a dilemma!

 

Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: