Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cicada Song

It is a hot August day, perfect for Cicada’s to be singing their song. On a walk with my friend Christina, she was observant enough to find one sitting in the gravel of the road. Such good eyes!

It is such a song of summer for me. When I was quite young we used to visit my grandfather in the summer. His house was way up in the hills overlooking Kelowna and was surrounded by tall pines with the sounds of cicada’s zinging through the hot summer air. Now when I hear them I immediately recall those visits and if I close my eyes I can almost smell the dried pine needles and hear those long ago cicadas.

When we got back from our walk Christina’s dog Archie was ready for a good long drink!

Carm came into the house a while ago with the sad news that the Kingfisher is dead. He found his body lying on the grass. I’ll miss his regular visits to our pond.

Friends are as companions on a journey, who ought to aid each other to persevere in the road to a happier life.
Pythagoras

No comments: