Thursday, October 16, 2014

Last night

I can't believe it, but tonight is our last night camping for the next six months (or more). Just writing the words makes me choke. We have had a fantastic spring, summer and fall, but now we move into the white season... I can hardly bear to think about it.

Today the rain came down - it seemed fitting given the day. But oh, another beautiful day of walking would have been nice. The roads were a sloppy muddy mess, so I couldn't do a proper walk with the dogs, instead we drove them to one of the group camping areas. After making sure there were no deer around, I let them out of the truck for some free running. It had been a few weeks since they'd been able to stretch their legs and they were ecstatic. There is nothing that brings a smile to the heart like the unfettered joy of a dog in play.

Well, I guess that's that for now...

And now, my poor old woman, why are you crying so bitterly? It is autumn. The leaves are falling from the trees like burning tears- the wind howls. Why must you mimic them? ~Mervyn Peake, T

No comments: