Thursday, October 15, 2015

down came the rain and washed the spider out

Cracks of thunder, rain, and for a little while, hail, have curtailed our plans to watch a movie tonight. Crack might not be the right word to describe the frequent explosions that we are hearing. Lightning is flashing, the momentary brightness disclosing things that were lost to the darkness. Yee Haw.

I gotta say though - I am SO grateful that none of the pets are worried. They are asleep in their various beds, occasionally looking to us for guidance when there is a really loud boom. Years ago we had a dog, Chetta, who was terrified of storms and would hide herself in the far depths of the basement. We lost her in the woods one time during some fireworks (we found her the next morning). She wouldn't be happy in the limited confines of the villetta.

"Take me out to the ball game". We turned on the TV last night in time to watch the last three innings of the Blue Jays game… yawn… but wait! It was perhaps the most exciting innings of baseball that I'd ever seen. Go Jays!

It's Thursday so it must be writing group. Carm drove me back home so that I wouldn't miss the meeting and while I had a great time, he checked on the house and readied a few things for winter. It wasn't a big sacrifice to be away from the camp today as the weather was brrrr. Blustery with leaves falling everywhere, the wind threatened to knock me over when I took the dogs for their afternoon walk. We walked quickly to keep warm.

We didn't see any deer today but we did see 3 piles of 'scat' that looked to be from one or more coyotes. I hoped that they were a long way from where we were, and thought back to the nights when I take the dogs out myself in the pitch dark. I have no doubt that they would scare ONE off, but what if it was a pack? Kabira would have to morph from an African Lion Hunting Dog to an Ontario Coyote Hunting Dog. The poodles already think they are tough and would be the first to raise their dukes.

"We all have life storms, and when we get the rough times and we recover from them, we should celebrate that we got through it. No matter how bad it may seem, there's always something beautiful that you can find."  ~Mattie Stepanek

No comments: