Sunday, October 18, 2015

from which to look ahead

Done, and just a little too late! I turned on the tap this morning and when nothing came out knew that it had gotten cold overnight. Sure enough the hose was frozen solid. Luckily, we always travel with at least 1/3 tank of water so I just had to flip the switch on the water pump and the water was flowing.

The dogs leapt at the end of the leashes - if they were horses we'd call them 'fresh'. It was amazing that I didn't get my shoulder dislocated… inside for a hot coffee, and then 'lets get this show on the road'. We didn't dawdle getting packed up and were home by 12:30pm - with flakes of snow flying. Burrr. Together, we worked hard at getting all the food and freezable things off-loaded so we wouldn't have to run the heat overnight. We even got it fully winterized.

As soon as we got home Carm got the furnace going and started a fire. The house was only 11C/52F! I turned the furnace on in the camper and kept Grace by one of the vents so she was toasty, but the dogs shivered.

So that's that. Six months is looking a long way from here, but I have to focus on other things or I'll drive myself into a funk, and that is not a good way to start winter.

An ending like this calls for a bottle of bubbles to celebrate the months that have past, but also to celebrate the months that are yet to come.  Life is good!

A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.”  ~Graham Greene

No comments: