Wednesday, January 4, 2017

More freezing rain and snow

The freezing rain continued throughout the day yesterday, gradually changing to snow early in the evening. The trees had a thick glaze of ice, far more than the Boxing Day storm. Unfortunately this ice served as glue to the snow coming down so today the trees are bowing down with their heavy load, their branches dragged to the ground. I expect some breakage, and already at 10 am one tree has lost a huge branch. We sit inside helpless over the potential carnage - most of the trees are far too big to knock the ice away. It is 0C, and scheduled to drop to -12 by tonight. Fingers crossed that there is enough time to free the trees. A little bit (very little bit) of wind might help to shake the ice's grip.


(just checked the weather - possibly bad news for the trees: ' Wind becoming west 30 km/h gusting to 50 early this afternoon.')

I really do have to get cracking and moving a bit. The sofa has a big indent from where I've curled up these last several days (or is it weeks). I watched a few mindless, black and white fluff movies on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) in the afternoon and finished off with 'Dial M for Murder' which was an excellent Hitchcock flic. In between the fluff I did manage a few minutes on the treadmill - I had to get my blood flowing just a bit :-0

The dogs went crazy this morning, crying and barking at the back door. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about until a fox emerged from the trees and trotted across the hayfield. It was a big one - bigger than Spike - and looked healthy.

later in the day…

The wind picked up slowly and the temperature rose to 4C so the ice has mostly fallen from the tree branches. We had a few more branches broken, but no where near as many as I expected. Whew. No power outage either which is a huge relief. (I should say yet as the wind is howling and the snow is coming down so hard that I can't see the farm across the way.

This winter has been a rough one so far.

No comments: