Friday, October 30, 2020

fallen heros

 Who are your heros? I don’t generally think of people as being heros, but instead those that I admire. I’ll try to dig up a short list:  Neil Degrass Tyson and Brian Greene - I love that they’ve brought the wonder of science to the layman; I admire Anderson Cooper, he was born into privilege but has spent his life as a reporter; Jane Goodal has contributed so much; I love Alice Munro as a writer; I greatly admire Obama. 


What happens when you find out that someone you held above others has divergent views and supports a point of view that is polar opposite to yours. Can they remain heros, or are they dethroned?


You could ask Carm these questions as today his golf hero, Jack Nickalas, has shown himself to be a supporter of racism and bigotry. He’s in support of a president that has been doing everything in his power to ruin the country with his approach to Covid (among other things). As Carm just said to me “he’s dead to me”... 


I thought highly about one of the ‘talking heads’ on CNN but then recently he did a really stupid thing on a zoom call. I felt let down and angry that he could be so dumb.


Trump has totally gone off the rails now. What will happen if he loses? Will he further trash the country in his 2 months before inauguration?



"The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.”

~William Morris

No comments: