Sunday, October 25, 2020

pool in pieces

 With a determined cheerfulness that I hope lasts all winter I set about my day. There was still some ‘stuff’ to sort and put away - finally I had my kitchen counter back. The table was cleared yesterday to make way for fine dining but somehow stuff started to pile there again. Other catch-all areas were tidied. 


Eventually there was just a small pile of stuff that winters in the villetta so I braved the cold. While I was in the camper I started going thru the cupboards and storage cubbies to remove extra junk. I ended up with a large bag full of odds and ends - nothing to throw out, but stuff to save in the basement for future use (oh oh). I still have some areas to tackle.


It is amazing, and not in a particularly good way, how much stuff can be crammed into such a small space.


While I was doing that, Carm drove to the city for a bit of produce and a case of favorite wine that’s on sale. Once he was back he got cracking with the pool. With a heroic effort it’s tucked away for the winter. 


We are ready! Bring it on! Sadly, there is snow in the forecast for tonight :-(


I dressed up for dinner and we ate at the table again tonight. It was just a giant bowl of potato soup that I unearthed from the freezer. A side of artisan bread for dipping completed the supper. Unfortunately we don’t have any salad fixings on hand - a big bowl of spinach would have hit the spot. I know the dressing up seems lame but I figure if I can somehow make some of the moments of the day a bit special it will help us through the winter. It’s a small nod to cruise vacations.


I’ve turned into my mother and now have two places set at the table as a matter of course. The placemats, chargers, plates, and pinwheel crystal sits at the ready. Although if I was fully like her I’d have 6 places set! ;-)



Carm turned off the golf and tuned in ‘flashback 70s’ while we ate, and even kept the music going for ages after. I think it helped my digestion!


I need to set myself the challenge of taking at least one relevant photo every day. If I’d been thinking I would have gotten a shot of Carm with his arms in the freezing cold of the pool. Or maybe a satisfying photo of all the pool parts laid out on the deck drying, almost ready to carry into the basement.


‘From New York to L.A.’ by Patsy Gallant - the worst ear worm I’ve ever experienced… I think it was the song playing on the radio when I arrived in Ottawa 1976. I’d stayed out west with relatives while Mom, Dad, Kirsten, Thor, and Fooling, the cat that howled for 3 days straight, drove from Winnipeg to Ottawa. Dad flew out to get me later in the summer. Mom had my room all set up with every detail taken care of, including tuning my radio to a local pop station. Amazing! She was 8 months pregnant with my brother Olaf too!



"In October, a maple tree before your window lights up your room like a great lamp. Even on cloudy days, its presence helps to dispel the gloom. “

~John Burroughs


No comments: