Saturday, April 10, 2021

gratitude

 Summer paid a visit today, actually it’s been here for over a week now… the trees are clothing themselves with buds opening into tiny leaves, the grass is greening up nicely, and birds are going crazy setting up their summer homes. Life practically springs from the earth around us.


Did I enjoy the day? Yes. To the full extent? No. I’ve been feeling somewhat fatigued the last few days with sore joints and stiff muscles, likely effects from the vaccine. I was in bed at 8:30 last night and when Carm came to bed much later wondered why the light was still on… I hadn’t had the energy to turn it off!


But we did get a bit of the patio furniture outside today and a few loads of laundry done but not much else.



A new sewage tote arrived from Amazon today - so exciting! The box and the tote were sitting on the front porch when I let Adia out and she just gave them a quick sniff, then continued on her way. A year ago she would have freaked out. She’s come a long way!



Spike is still hobbling around. Today I thought he looked really old :-(  I had to work hard to refocus my thoughts, otherwise I would have started bawling in anticipation of the future, which will likely come too soon.


I read an article about experiencing gratitude and sharing that gratitude with others. Since the beginning of my blog I’ve tried to focus on being grateful for small things, the idle pleasures in life, and I think this practice has become second nature or at least easier. I try to make a point of telling people that I appreciate them but I think I just sound maudlin and sappy when I do, or maybe people aren’t used to hearing positives? 


We ate our supper outside tonight! 



Yesterday we sort of cheated the stay-at-home order to have a birthday visit with Graham. We were outside at a distance, and only 5 of us, so we were in keeping with the rules, I think.


I’ve decided that I have to stay away from the news reporting about the vaccines… I’m starting to freak out about the rare blood clots for the AstraZeneca, wondering if we did the right thing. Of course there’s nothing to be done now, it’s not like there’s an antidote.



“Spring is made of solid, fourteen-karat gratitude, the reward for the long wait. Every religious tradition from the northern hemisphere honors some form of April hallelujah, for this is the season of exquisite redemption, a slam-bang return to joy after a season of cold second thoughts.”

~Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

Merikay MacKenna said...

Yes, there have been clots, but I think the numbr is so small you need not worroy too much. Be on the lookout for problems, yes, but don't let the worry spoil your day. Sorry Spike is going downhill. I've been there with several beloved dogs, but really only remember the good times and unconditional love.