Thursday, April 1, 2021

song sung blue

 Only a dusting of snow was on the ground this morning and it was all gone by the time I dragged myself from bed, luckily no April Fools joke :-)  Winter ended suddenly this year - there may even be ½ a tank of gas in the snowblower. Oh sure, we could still be dumped on but enough for the snowblower? Hopefully not.


As I often do, I scrolled through Facebook this morning and today it was (almost) worthwhile. An article mentioned that Ottawa pharmacies were getting doses of the vaccine for ages 55+! That’s me! And Carm! Together we went through the list to contact some nearby places, but alas, some didn’t even know about it let alone have a booking system up and running :-/ We persisted and got our names on a few waiting lists…  I feel impatient and excited.


I’m afraid to hold out real hope.


I had a revelation today… When I’m feeling good I tend to sing and dance but it’s a bit like the chicken and the egg. Which comes first? Does singing make my mood better or do I only sing when I’m a bit manic? When I sing, my brain is not ruminating on whatever might make me feel stressed so maybe ‘Muskrat Love’ is like a drug of sorts. Not all music does the trick - it has to be sing-along. I have playlists full of this sappy music - not all 70s pop… there’s the Doors, and Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Pink Floyd… but mainly it’s lame music from my youth. Although ‘Sex on the Beach’ was rumbling around my head yesterday. 


If I were a doctor I’d write prescriptions for Spotify.


I don’t know why it took so long but I’m finally not self-conscious gyrating in front of Carm. I no longer care what he thinks… not actually, but maybe the pandemic has forced the change - I must move! He laughs when I grab his hands to get him to try dancing - he thinks I’m crazy, but I think he likes a bit of zany in his life!



“It was such a spring day as breathes into a man an ineffable yearning, a painful sweetness, a longing that makes him stand motionless, looking at the leaves or grass, and fling out his arms to embrace he knows not what.”

~John Galsworthy

No comments: