Wednesday, April 28, 2021

languishing in the emerald city

 My muse has deserted me. My brain has shifted into another gear, one that is distracted by noise and motion. Cars flashing by on the road catch my attention, Carm fiddling with his feet draw my eye, Spike walking around gets noticed. The TV sounds too loud and even music sometimes fills my brain with noise. It’s just the chemicals in my brain and I know that soon they’ll get back to where they were.


Maybe my visit to the dentist tomorrow will upshift me back to awesome. Imagine a time when a dentist appointment is a welcome interruption to the monotony.


I’m in the mood to write and even hauled out my old copy of ‘Writing Tools’, an awesome book with tons of helpful instruction. But I’m missing content to practice with. An endless passage of identical days doesn’t trigger any inspiration.


Oh, I’m not complaining (exactly) but gosh what a (pipe) dream to think covid will end.


We’ve had ‘green day’ already and I missed the exact day that it happened! Why did it slip by without fanfare? I’ve not been mindful I guess. I did notice the tiniest of pink buds on the apple trees today! Everything is early this year. Except summer BBQs with friends and families…


The covid situation has been dire with hospitals transferring patients all over the province to make room for the influx. The stay-at-home order is still going on for another 23 days - will it end then or be extended? When will we be able to have laneway visits again? There were 5 deaths in Ottawa today. The only industry that’s done gangbusters over the last year are the morgues… Vaccine supply is intermittent (we are lucky we got one when we did). 


I find that news of covid barely registers now after months of sitting on the edge of my seat hanging onto every word… it’s been too much for too long. I read an article a while back that spoke of languishing and I suppose that’s what I’m doing (with spurts of crazed excitement).



“The paint was glossy, the car was clean, and we had a full tank of gas. The future was up to me, for now.”

~Alysha Speer

No comments: