Saturday, March 3, 2012

Restore X 2

We have had some unhappiness here the last few days. Carm was "fixing" the internet connection on my laptop, unfortunately his fix meant we had to restore the OS... the last backup? May 2011. I know, I know, we should both know better as we were both in the IT industry for our whole careers, but you know how these things go (btw - my data is all recently backed up and stored offsite). Once the restore was run I had to reinstall everything that I've installed since May - a surprising amount! The bad news... do it all over again... it seems that some patches were run that shouldn't have been, so we were back to restoring to May and reinstall everything again. Oh yeah.

One of the things I lost was Picassa. Have you used it to tag all the faces? In the lost world I had tagged 1000s but did still have some to do. Now I've tagged 1000s again, and still have tons to do, but I'm wondering if it is worth the effort. I never used it to find photos, but maybe I would if it was all up to date? I think that my folder hierarchy and file naming standards will get me close to the photos I'm looking for so maybe it's a waste of time to do any more. It is an amazing program though - it really does a decent job in matching faces to names - what an algorithm! The crazy thing though is that it picks up even the tiniest, blurriest faces… see the picture below – it had tagged my face!

But now here it is Saturday and I haven't been able to motivate myself to do much aside from the computer for days. Maybe I’m all worn out for getting those two rooms done, but there are still some areas of the house that I'd like to tackle. Unfortunately I've taken a trip down into the dumps again and can't seem to get out. I’m not as bad as last time, but still... One of the problems of feeling this way is I can't even be bothered to try to feel better. Isn’t that stupid!

I forced myself to get outside for a walk but it was so windy and miserable out there (it is blowing a gale – it was almost knocking me over!) that I came right back inside. I could have gotten on the treadmill but didn't really care to. I don't really have the energy. I thought of going back to bed, but lay around and surfed the internet instead. Oh hurrah. I would have gone out to have Pho for lunch but didn't want to go all the way to the city. The lunch places in the villages around here leave much to be desired. I know if I were given just the right push I’d probably bounce back, but I can’t seem to muster the push myself.

ggskj1-small

1 comment:

bjosa said...

This sort of carving you have as a signature under your writings is it an old wood carving from Norway? It looks like a "Mangletre". You know the old way to iron the cloths. Wrap it on a wooden stick and push it hard under the Mangletre to straighten it out.