Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bedroom Re-Org Reveal

OrgChallenge-Teal2

I can’t believe that I’m actually posting another room online for anyone to see… but… I am participating in “I’m an Organizing Junkie"’s 29 day organization challenge. I thought that this would motivate me to get a few problem areas in the house purged, sorted and organized. It worked! Although I am still having difficulty purging. It seems that I NEED everything that I have.

20120226_bedroom_004

The following are questions to be answered about the space:

1. What space did you decide to organize and why?

I choose our spare bedroom. We occasionally have overnight guests and it would be nice to not have to go crazy to get everything ready when they come.

2. What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 29 day timeline?

Like I did with the den, I started organizing some other areas to make places for the stuff to go. By making space elsewhere it was easier for me to keep on track once I started on this room.

3. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it?

My greatest challenge was not feeling overwhelmed and wanting to quit. I found if I looked at the whole picture it would seem like too much and I would stall. However, by focusing on one small area at a time I was able to move forward. (thanks for that advice!)

My other great challenge was the ripple effect or scope creep. Many areas of my house got touched by this re-org and there were times that the whole house looked like a hurricane had passed through. Keeping my focus during those times was difficult. It also meant that the task was huge. I worked on the workshop, the storage area, the linen closet, the den, master bedroom closet… you get the picture!

4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?

Some of the “stuff” was actually purged (although not nearly enough), while other items were moved to more appropriate locations. Our linen closet is tiny so I still had to keep blankets and quilts in this closet. Currently I also have the wrapping supplies in the closet, they will be moved to my craft room when it is constructed.

I need to get better at actually getting rid of stuff…

5. Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge?

Getting the workshop done. I’ve been wanting to get to this area for years. Once it was done I could move on to other areas. It was like a wheel had been un-chocked!

6. Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries?

I used one hanging shelf to store a few odds and ends on. I also put all the gift bags, tissue paper, etc. into one big plastic bin. Now I can easily see what I have so I don’t purchase unnecessary items. I used one of the drawers in the dresser to “corral” some of the little gifts that I keep as spares. That should limit what I keep.

I also purged a whole pile of magazines that were in the side tables. I put a selection of books and a few magazines in one, and the other I used to store the photos in frames that I am rotating elsewhere in the house.

7. What is ONE piece of advice you’d give to someone else to encourage them on their organizational journey?

Take it one step at a time. Sit down and think about one small area and what can be done with it. Focus on that one area and get it done – then move on to the next. If that means stuff that belongs in another room gets piled there then fine – deal with it later.

Before pictures:

20120223_closets_001
20120224_closets_008

I have no before pictures, this is during the point of greatest mess

20120226_bedroom_002

I’m on the home stretch here. What to do with the spare bedroom dog beds (dogs can be guests too!)? The cage has to stay as there is nowhere else to put it for the winter. Come spring it will move to the deck.

 

After pictures:

20120226_bedroom_008

The basket has a few books for overnight guests, the dresser contains table linens, napkin rings, and other tableware. One drawer is empty for guests

20120226_bedroom_003

The parrot cage is tucked away. Both bedroom doors open, including the one into the bathroom, and there is plenty of space between it and the bed

20120226_bedroom_004
20120228_closet_001

I know it still looks like a mess, but now all the wrapping supplies are in one space instead of spread throughout the house

20120228_closet_002

So there you have it. When I designed this house I wish I would have included better storage space on the main floor. Having a linen closet that could hold more than a few towels and a couple of sheets would be nice.

ggskj1-small

1 comment:

bjosa said...

Could you please come on over and re-org our bedroom too?