Saturday, March 10, 2012

Freak Out

I’ve had this “Freak Out” song going through my head all day – talk about a brain worm! You’ll see how it got there later in the post…

The other day Trudie & Leo called to see if we wanted to go to the Bierstube restaurant (Rudy's) for supper on Friday night. It is a good 45 minute drive and after the last time with all the ice on the road we were hesitant about going. But the forecast was good so we agreed. The four of us drove down in Leo's car, it was still light and was a nice drive. We saw tons of deer. The food was good as always (schnitzel) and of course the company was congenial. Then it was time to go. OH NO! As soon as we could see outside we saw that there was a BLIZZARD. Those of you who know me know that I am somewhat, well, how can I say this...Freaked Out by driving in the snow. And there was snow. It was coming down sideways and thick. The roads were completely obliterated and impossible to see. I was in the backseat, and if I chewed my nails I would have been doing so. Thankfully, Leo is not a racing car driver -  I don't think he got over 60km - it was a long, long drive home (almost 1 1/2 hours). It was a "Phew, we made it" kind of night. No more trips to Rudy's till snow season is over!

Today we are all snow covered again, but I don't think it will last past a day. We'll get some melting today - it is just around 0C and very sunny - but the rest will take its absence in the following days. In fact, when I checked the forecast I was surprised to see a forecast we would be happy with if we were fall camping. Temps will be in the low to mid teens all week.
It was nice enough to tempt me into taking my tea out to the front deck this afternoon. With the sun shining so strongly it was almost pleasant, but there was a bit of breeze that made sitting out in a tshirt just a tad cold. But I sat there for a few minutes and enjoyed the symphony of melting water.I love our property but I've got to say there is a certain amount of anxiety that comes with having a river and a creek on the land. Especially one that surges with powerful currents when the season is right. I don't know what I would have done if we had children - the creek would be such a temptation, especially this time of year, but it is a temptation with lots of danger attached. I live in fear that one of the dogs will be swept away and freak out at them if they venture near the shore. In fact this afternoon I had Spike on a leash to make sure he stayed away - and I still managed to worry and awfulize about it.

Pleasures: 1. getting home after a long, snowy drive - we made it ; 2. tender crisp schnitzel ; 3. sun shining so brightly off the snow that I got tears in my eyes ; 4. listening to the snow melt - the tinkling sounds of water down the drain spouts and off the roof created a symphony of sounds; 5. getting a good nights sleep


Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!

Have you heard about the new dance craze?
Listen to us, I'm sure you'll be amazed
Big fun to be had by everyone
It's up to you, It surely can be done
Young and old are doing it, I'm told
Just one try, and you too will be sold
It's called Le Freak! They're doing it night and day
Allow us, we'll show you the way

ggskj1-small

No comments: