Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Squeak

Excuse me for being repetitive here, but yesterday and today were more summer like days in March. Yesterday, high 27C, today high 24C. Yesterday we took a drive for ice cream and cheese curds. It felt strange to be leaving the house without a coat, let alone in shorts, t-shirt and sandals. We have 1 more day of this in the forecast then it is back to normal highs of 4C.  But we've had a taste of summer and that's a good thing.

20120321_icecream_002

But back to the ice cream and curds. You know that feeling you get when everything is right with the world? I had that yesterday afternoon while eating our treats, outside, in the shade. Life seemed especially good at that moment. I always get that same feeling when we have finished setting up our camp and are sitting down with a snack and cold beer. It is in those moments when I remember why we go camping, with all the hassle of getting ready. It is so worth it for those few moments of almost euphoria. Maybe they are more precious to me now that I'm all medicated up. I used to get them all the time, especially in the summer, but now they are few and far between. That's one of the trade offs I guess.

Today hasn't been such a great day. I had a horrible headache last night that kept me awake, so today I've been groggy and exhausted. After moping around the house doing not much of anything I finally just headed back to bed - it's what I should have done right off as that extra 2 hours have left me in a better place. Sometimes I just have to give in to my body...

20120322_tulips_001

Pleasures:

1. the feeling of heat on your skin when stepping out of a cold grocery store into the heat
2. squeaky cheese curds, salty and chewy
3. tulips already starting to poke their noses out of the soil
4. tiny green buds on the trees
5. perfectly ripe, juicy, fragrant pear

ggskj1-small

No comments: