Saturday, September 22, 2012

Discombobulated and Blue

20120919_flowers_005We've been back home for a few days now (since Thursday). It is strange to have so much space - the hallway to the bedroom is almost as long as the whole camper - but it is surprising how quickly we spread ourselves out to make use of the extra. The weather took a turn for the worse after we left with days of rain in the forecast so it is just as well we are home. Sure, I don't mind a day or two when we are camping, but the rain does make it a pita with the dogs and all the mud and water they track inside. And sometimes they are loath to stay out long enough to get their business done, which paradoxically means more time in the rain for them.

20120921_property_010

I don't know if it is the grey days, being back home, or the letdown after so many days of feasting but I've been feeling discombobulated and blue. I woke up that way on Friday and haven't been able to shake it. I even MADE myself get on the treadmill this morning to see if that would get my blood flowing enough to help, but no. I suppose it is all part of the cycle and will pass when it does. But in the meantime I have to make like I'm British and "Keep Calm and Carry On"!

20120921_property_004

I'm also up 5 pounds from my lowest point in June. I can't seem to figure out how to maintain, and how not to go all crazy with treats. I think I have the basics of a good diet, but let too many things interfere. Or make excuses about eating the bad stuff. The insane part is, when I'm eating all the junk and sweets I don't feel good - but instead of using that feeling to help keep me on the straight and narrow, the bad stuff wants to be followed by more bad stuff. How sick is that! Okay - here's my challenge - lose that 5 pounds by the end of October - that should be easy right? Here we come "Eat to Live"!

20120921_property_002

 

Unless a tree has borne blossoms in spring, you will vainly look for fruit on it in autumn.
Walter Scott

2 comments:

bjosa said...

Hi, Laura!
I'm also up 5 pounds this summer, so I'll take you up on your challenge. Our cravings for sweets is strengthen when we eat sweets so the only thing that holds is avoiding it all together. But that it really hard, almost impossible. Let's see if we can do this?

Merikay said...

I really crashed emotionally in the days after our Crater Lake trip. We just got home from a week in Yosemite. I'm on an anti depressant medication now and I hope the next few days will be good. I lost a few more pounds on this trip. I feel like the meds have eliminated my destructive binge eating and sugar cravings. (I'm on a generic for Zoloft.)