Thursday, September 27, 2012

Twirling Them in a Cheerful Jig

20120926_property-flowers_001

The other night on the news there was an article about the passing away of the man who started "Sam the Record Man", an iconic record store chain in Ontario. The newscaster asked if people remembered their first purchase at Sam's, and while I couldn't remember mine, I did remember the first records I ever bought myself. It was at the Kmart on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, probably in the fall of 1974. I can't remember who I was there with (maybe Melody), but I can picture the record isle clearly. First I picked out 10cc "How Dare You" - they were one of my favs, introduced by a family friend;  then I picked out a Partridge Family album! What the *&@ - 10cc and Partridge Family - my music tastes have always run weird. I can listen to Black Sabbath one minute and Bach the next, throw in a bit of pop and folk and a ton of 70s music and I'm good to go. I like romantic ballads, Celtic whirls, the odd bit of Johnny Cash and I couldn't do without Leonard Cohen's dirge. One might say my tastes are  eclectic or perhaps just strange!

20120927_property-flowers_007

Today I’ve been listening (and listening) to a newly discovered singer, Katie Melua – here’s one of hers, and there are several others that I like. I ended up downloading her whole album. I’m not sure if they make me feel happy or sad, but they are mostly about love. I think a romantic evening with cheek to cheek dancing is in order!

 

Nine Million Bicycles

I liked this one too:

A Moment of Madness

It was a beautiful day today, full of sunshine and warm temperatures. While I did spend some of inside working on our finances, there were a few trips outside to enjoy Nature. (oh – and the wind wasn’t really sighing, it was dancing over the land, sometimes caressing leaves in a soft waltz, while other times twirling them in a cheerful jig.)

20120927_property_003

I Meant to Do My Work Today
Richard Le Gallienne

I meant to do my work today—
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.

And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand—
So what could I do but laugh and go?

ggskj1-small

No comments: