Monday, March 11, 2013

One Skein of Geese

This morning I heard it - the unmistakable sign of approaching summer - the trill of Red-wing Blackbirds. We get tons of them here on our property and the sound always reminds me of warm weather. Poor things - the snow is still deep with very little bare earth showing. I hope they find something to eat.

The funny thing is I also saw a goose. Just one, but there must be more on their way. I keep a log in my calendar of when I first see each bird and many years I see both the blackbirds and the geese on the same day! Perhaps they travel together?

I was on my way to the mailbox to check for the parcel delivery notice for the fabric when I heard all this birdsong ... but no such luck with the fabric. Maybe tomorrow, although I suspect it won't be until next week. Still, I can dream can't I :-)



A nap of dogs beside me.


One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of March thaw, is the Spring.

Aldo Leopold

1 comment:

Merikay said...

I saw red wing black birds today too. They were hanging aroundthe outdoor table of COSTCO where I was sitting in the sun enjoying a forbidden hot dog. The birds are pests, unhealthy and all, but I tosses them some crumbs anyway. Bad me. Lucky brds.