Sunday, March 17, 2013

Out of the Mouths of Birds

My sewing has been going pretty well for the most part. There have been some machine binding, broken threads, stabbed fingers, etc. I didn't THINK that I'd been very frustrated. I learnt otherwise though - as I was puttering around cleaning up I heard Grace say a new phrase... I had to think what it was for a moment and then realized she had said "What the hell". I can't tell you how much I laughed! And laugh even now thinking of the vocabulary barometer we have. We do try not to swear and for the most part have succeeded in keeping her vocabulary clean. But she does have a few, "bugger" being one of them. And of course she burps and farts. Luckily for us she mainly likes to talk about what a nice bird she is, and how good she is, and call the dogs (by name of course), and she loves to laugh and woof. She's quick to admonish the dogs when they bark with a "HEY". Her whistling is sometimes surprising - she's very musical and makes up her own tunes, some of which is pretty good. You really haven't lived till you've lived with a parrot!



I stood at the kitchen sink for a while watching some crows hassle a hawk. They eventually left it alone to soar higher and higher into the sky. It looked like it would fly right to the moon which was a faint white crescent in the sky. Beautiful. I can see why people like to sky dive, ultralight, and balloon - oh to soar so high.




One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
Helen Keller

1 comment:

The Odd Essay said...

Oh My! I'd have to be really careful around Grace... especially if she repeated what I said in my own voice. How funny!