Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year or 15 minutes of fame

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope everyone made it through the night safely and with good cheer.

We had a lovely time celebrating with a few guests. The Chinese food worked out well, however, we ordered/cooked double of what we needed! We usually over do the food, but this year we went bonkers. Not to worry, it is all packaged up into meal sized containers and is frozen in the garage, in state for some desperate night (forget about this stash when reading resolution 1 below). We talked and talked, just barely remembering to turn on the TV for the final count down, and then talked some more.

Luckily, the roads were clear and dry for everyone’s trip home – it is actually a green New Year, which is unprecedented after our green Christmas.

I'm spending my first day of the year as I always do - hung-over. Not from booze, but from too much food and way too late a night. It was after 3am when our last guest left, then Carm and I rushed around cleaning up some of the mess. Finally to bed at 3:45 only to lie (or is it lay - my brain is too fuzzed to remember) awake until past 5am, and I remember seeing 6am come and go… ugh. The dogs had to go out at 8:30, and took forever sniffing all the exciting 2015 smells. Oh yeah, I still have a cold. Hence the incoherent, rambling post of the sleep deprived.

Part of my trouble sleeping was angst about resolutions. In the past I've been anti resolution feeling they just set me up for failure (and I hate failure), but now I'm thinking there are some resolutions that I'd like to turn into habits.

Firstly, and most importantly, I'd like to take better care of my health, and that means cutting out all the junk I've been stuffing into my face for the last several months. Stupidly, I've felt slightly sick since noshing the naughty, but yet I continue. Enough. Back to healthy Eat to Live meals. Back to the treadmill (not today), if only for 15 minutes at day. Back to feeling great.

I'd like to commit to writing for at least 15 minutes every day. Any 'get better at writing' tips that I've read has had this as the top point. I can do this. Jo Ellen brought me a little book of writing prompts that I will use when I'm uninspired. I may not post everything that I write, but I will do it! I will become a better writer!

The last resolution? I want to do at least 15 minutes of something around the house every day. It could be cleaning or something more major, but I want to create better 'doing something' habits.

So that is my 15 minutes a day resolution for 2015!

Am I meeting my resolution this first day of 2015? Almost. Way more than 15 minutes was spent washing dishes and putting stuff away from last nigh - check. Writing for at least 15 minutes - check. Treadmill for 15 minutes - not on your life!  Tomorrow… there's always tomorrow!

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instil in us.

~Hal Borland

2 comments:

Merikay said...

I too have to get back to healthier eating. Together we WILL triumph!

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Happy New Year!