Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sun, friends, soup, futon, happy, Downton

Sun, futon, happy. Just for a few minutes though and then I jumped up with energy to walk on the treadmill (massive exaggeration…but I did putz along for 30 minutes while I watched Downton Abbey)

We had company for lunch today: my brother-in-law Shawn, and his lovely sister joined us for a healthy bowl of Lentil soup. Not so sure that they wouldn't have preferred massive dripping hamburgers but that's okay. It was nice to have even a tenuous connection with Kirsten at the table. The conversation never went there, but I would have loved to badger Shawn about moving back to North America. I don't think the frigid weather would have helped my case. When it was time for him to leave I shoved bags of stuff into his hands with the hopes that some of it gets to NZ.

Yesterday we loaded the car with box after box of books, and a giant bag of clothes and other household goods. I was so happy to unload it all at the Salvation Army. Seeing a pile of stuff leave the house wonderful. I feel like a step is being made in the right direction - I'm developing an aversion for stuff. We have too much stuff!!!

20150120_153713-blue-sky

After unburdening ourselves we went to one of my favourite places: T&T. I perused the aisles and discovered a jar of stuff for making Pad Thai, and another for making Tom Yum soup. Then onto the noodles - how to choose? I selected a variety from which to chose when I make my little bowl of soup every day. The noodles are packaged up into little bundles - single servings which can be added at the bottom of a bowl.

The produce section yielded a huge bag of baby bok choy (what am I going to do with it all?), snow peas, hot red peppers, Thai basil and little mushrooms. Asian noodle soup was on the menu for supper last night. After an hour of prep (why does everything take so long?) we each had a soup mixing bowl full of noodles, vegetables and broth. Oh yum.

20150120_153835-bella

Best of all - leftovers! I have a few days worth of leftovers in the fridge: Thai Brussels Sprouts, Indian broccoli and red pepper, Asian Soup. We've circled the globe and I'm happy to have the results in the fridge. Some people don't like eating leftovers - well, I say that they must not be the cooks in the family. I just about jump up and down when making a meal that I know serves 4.

Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering. ~Steve Maraboli

1 comment:

Merikay said...

We call them "two dayers" instead of leftovers. That way we limit our first night portions and I don't have to cook the next night.