Saturday, January 24, 2015

He should be in advertising

Spike got first dibs at the empty jar of peanut butter this morning. Amazingly he didn’t have a ring of pb around his head! Do you think Kraft would approve?

20150124_135217-spike-peanut-btr

20150124_135230-spike-peanut-btr

20150124_135238-spike-peanut-btr

I’ve been laying low the last few days – extreme tiredness and a hint of depression has me dragging myself around, not accomplishing anything (including my 15s). It’s not exactly depression, it is more a heaviness in my head that makes it difficult to think. Finding the right word and making a proper sentence are difficult. Math would be impossible. Negative thoughts flit through my head, but I’m alert enough to not let them roost anywhere. Sometimes if I rest up for a few days when it first hits me I can dodge the bullet.

A few weeks ago I started experimenting with those packs of noodle soups for my breakfast/lunch – they were great but had a few flaws: huge amounts of salt and no vegetables. So I went to the Asian store and got a large package of thin rice noodles, which are a better for me than the wheat noodles – they are bundled up in small bunches just large enough for a single serving. I sautéed a batch of mushrooms & celery that I keep in the fridge – a big heaping spoon adds flavour. To that I add a bunch of baby bok choy or spinach and some hot sauce and other spices. I end up with a lunch that is quick to prepare and healthy. Best of all, I feel better than if I had eaten toast.

 

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery. ~J.K. Rowling

3 comments:

Merikay said...

Sounds like a good lunch to me. I often have a can of soup, but look for ones that are somewhat lighter in sodium and or calories. Have you tried just making noodles in low sodium chicken broth and adding a few veggies? I bet that would work.

Terri's Pal said...

I heat a cup/mug of Mott's Garden Cocktail. They have 3 choices for saltiness.

Terri's Pal said...

Spike would be a great "ad man" for peanut butter. ;)