Monday, January 5, 2015

there before me

The sun broke out from behind the dark clouds while I was on the treadmill this morning and there before me stood some trees, ordinary trees, their limbs normally brown against the white snow. However, those simple trees had been made extraordinary by a glittering cloak of ice that sparkled in the sun. Light refracting through the branches created blue, purple, green, red and yellow pinpoints of brightness. Like coloured Christmas lights they flickered in the sun. Brilliant white lights highlighted other branches.

I couldn’t help but gasp at the beauty and wonder of Nature that blesses us with such a sight after thrashing us with that same ice hours ago.

I tried to capture the lights on my camera, but for some reason the branches seemed dull and bare. Maybe it was just my fanciful brain working overtime!

20150105_161345-sparkle-tree

Okay – I’ve been reading too much or have been hit on the head with some stick that makes me want to wax poetic. But really – I can see more trees draped with coloured lights out of my window as I write this. Please note though: it does not make me want to go outside (I heard that it is cold out – minus 17 with gusting winds at this moment!).

So far (just 4 days in mind you), I’ve gotten my 3 15s in and have doubled up on some of them. I’ve been writing for my next writing group and it has been going well, thanks in no small part to my parents, whose heads are full of history and tidbits. I think I’ll have to write two versions: a short one for the group and a much longer one for our family history. There might be enough material to write a whole chapter!

 

Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties. ~Helen Keller

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

With those temps, definitely better to enjoy the view from inside:)