Thursday, August 13, 2015

Friends to Cherish

There was laughter, a bit of snorting, and understanding "I hear you"s here on Tuesday. Ruth and John were over with plans to stay the night. Carm and John golfed during the day, leaving Ruth and I to discuss the funny, absurd, irritating, and sad without interruptions of politics and oil prices (alas, that would come in the evening).

Every time I spend time with a woman, and am then in mixed company, it becomes apparent how different men and woman are. We talk of matters of the heart, things that affect us personally. Men talk about impersonal things that don't involve feelings or love. Why is it that when we are together the default conversation is man talk?

We had fun though and wondered why we didn't do it more often.



I need a clothesline, even one of those circular ones would do. Since we are busy on the weekend, when we normally do laundry because of time of use electric rates, we are doing it today. I didn't want to use the dryer for everything and so have clothes, sheets and towels, draped over every available space on the deck. When I was staying with Kirsten in NZ I loved looking out the window and seeing white sheets billowing in the breeze, chickens going about their day, and horses in the distance. I can't have the chickens and horses, but a clothesline would do.

Oh! Wednesday morning we happened to look out the kitchen window and saw the doe with FOUR fawns! We haven't seen her for weeks, but when we did I had thought I'd seen four, but figured they were moving in and out of the grass making it hard to count. There was no mistaking yesterday and everyone else saw them too. Could the doe have adopted some orphans? Or did she really have quadruplets?  According to Google it is possible, although rare.

I got a haircut yesterday and while sitting in the chair I made a comment about having a lot of grey. Yes, the hair dresser said. I have been trying to deceive myself, saying it is just really light blonde hair… She may have thought I was a senior too… in my mind I might be 'carded' at the liquor store any day now. I am delusional and would like to keep it that way!

In your entire life, you can probably count your true friends on one hand. Maybe even on one finger. Those are the friends you need to cherish, and I wouldn't trade one of them for a hundred of the other kind. I'd rather be completely alone than with a bunch of people who aren't real. People who are just passing time.  ~Sarah Ockler

No comments: