Friday, August 28, 2015

Who has seen the wind?

Yesterday morning the camper was vacuumed and dusted before 10am. We were having company! First my mom arrived and we visited over coffee, had a quick lunch of hotdogs (yes, we served them to guests), then Mom and I went for a long walk while Carm hit up the grocery store.

I brought the three dogs with me on our walk - they behaved like 3 rotten children, pulling me, tangling their leashes and generally being unruly. They took advantage of my distraction.  Contrast that to this morning when they were perfectly behaved…

We weren't back from our walk when Uncle Ken and Marilyn arrived for supper, luckily Carm was home to greet them. The wind had picked up throughout the day and the clouds obscured any possible heat from the sun so we stretched the limits of the camper and visited inside. When it came time for supper we all gathered around the various coffee and side tables or just balanced our plates on our laps. It didn't matter that we didn't have a beautiful table set, we were having fun.

Around 8pm everyone took their leave and the camper suddenly seemed empty. I curled up on the sofa with my tablet for a few minutes and wondered what tomorrow would bring.

In the early morning I slung my arm over Spike, pinning him to the bed, forcing him to endure another hour of sleep. It was past 8am when his wet licks woke me up! I happily leashed up the dogs (in a much better mood than yesterday) and stepped out the door. Wow. It was a picture perfect morning, the lake like glass and a sailboat anchored not far from shore. The line between sea and sky was barely discernible. I could imagine the boat sailing right over our heads towards the sun.


As the afternoon wore on (that sounds so negative and tiring, but it wasn't that way at all), the on-shore breeze picked up. It wasn't blowing a gale, but I found it difficult to keep warm, even with a long-sleeve shirt on, in or out of the sun. And I couldn't see my tablet's screen very well, although I did get 1/2 of this written outside. I gave up and came inside where I can still see and hear the water.


Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I but when the trees bow down their heads, the wind is passing by.  ~W.O. Mitchell

No comments: