Thursday, August 6, 2015

pompoms and toast

The second of the two writing books I ordered arrived in the mail today. They are a treat to take with me on our next trip (which is a long one) so I've only allowed myself a quick peek and I was happy with what I saw. One is about writing memoirs, while the other is about 'becoming a writer'. I'm hoping that the memoir one will help me improve the WYL writing group exercises.

I did peek enough to see the suggestion that I sit down and write for 15 minutes, so here I am. Suddenly with nothing to say…

My brother Graham and I watched 'Pitch Perfect' when I visited him today. It was a cute movie with lots of singing - I like singing (think back to Les Miserables, which reminds me, I think it is time to watch again!).

When I got home I took my tablet to the swing and got busy with Ruth and my calendar to plan some get-togethers - yay! We were able to coordinate our schedules for two visits: one next week with husbands along, and the other in September for our annual girls gab.

I can see and smell the purple clover that has carpeted the hay field. Each clover pompon drips with the fragrance of honey, sweet and thick. It inflamed my appetite for toast. A cup of Earl Grey tea and a towering stack of toast slathered with fresh butter and bee nectar… oh boy… if only I hadn't given up bread for the next few days. I'll make due with homemade unsweetened cranberry juice diluted with sparkling water (I'll bet you thought I was going to say something else sparkling or bubbly!) .

I visited Christina last night and was treated to photos of her trip out west this summer. They didn't get as far as we did in 2013, but in their 16 day trip (we had 6 weeks!) covered much territory. I thought we were whirlwind travellers! Last week I re-read my blog posts from our trip, and now Christina's photos… well! I want to go again next summer! We'd stay at some of the same places, but go to new ones as well for a combination of familiar and new. We won't plan anything until we find out if any visitors are coming from Norway but I will dream.

A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud. I am arrived at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop even those undermost garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: