Monday, August 17, 2015

The sound of silence

When you eat chips do you wish on the ones that are folded over, edges touching? I call those wish chips and carefully make a wish each time I chomp down on one. Wishes are hard to make though, you don't want to make one that could go wrong so the phrasing has to be exact. For example, I could wish that I'd go to NZ, and that wish could come true, but maybe not for 10 years. Or worse still because of some emergency. So I'd have to wish that I'd go to NZ this year for a happy visit! This is very serious stuff!

I lift my feet off the car floor when driving over railroad tracks for good luck too. Do you do the same thing?

We watched a bit of TV over the antenna last night. Unfortunately the channel was lost at the climax of Sherlock! Drat. I hadn't seen any of the ones with Cumberbatch and Freeman and was enjoying the program immensely when the screen went black… this is a good reason to sign up for Netflix when we get home.

The charming group of kids from next door were over again. The little boy sat on the ground with Bella and Spike, giving them lots of pets and cuddles. The two girls were fascinated with Grace. They had a million questions about her, all the while sitting close to her cage talking to her. Grace encouraged with a few words and when I suggested they try singing she beeped and booped to the music. All three girls, avian and human, danced to the songs played on the music player. I'm not sure who enjoyed themselves more, but I'm pretty certain that this encounter will be remembered by our visitors.

Carm has made a new friend. Tom is a bachelor and camps by himself. When you think bachelor I think of Oscar from the Odd Couple, but Tom would be Felix - his camper is ultra tidy, and all his bins and brooms outside match. We went over to his camp for a visit after supper - I left after a while, leaving them to boring boy talk.

It has been far from quiet here today - the 3 little boys across the way make enough noise for a whole boy scout camp. Even something as simple as riding a bike has been accompanied by the sound effects of roaring race car engines… It wouldn't be so bad if there was a break every now and again, but these kids must be hopped up on sugar or something. Carm's friend adds to the noise with his loud stereo which competes with the one from across the way. Dueling banjos never sounded so bad.

I think what bugs me about the assault on my ears is that I take much effort to keep my dogs quiet so they don't interfere with others enjoyment of the park. To not do so would show total disregard for everyone else. Ya, your kids are nice, but why don't you enjoy them and let me enjoy the things that I might prefer. I had trouble even having a nap (tongue in cheek, but it's true!). I may not be cut out for camping at these busy spots.

It is 8:30pm and still there is yelling and shouting, and now a few little girls have entered the fray with their ear splitting shrieks - will it never end?

But the weather was nice and the swimming perfect.

The quote is a little late, but I was saving it for Presqu'ile. And since it is a hot, but not motionless day it is still fitting - there is a cooling breeze making it comfortable for blog writing outside.

The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color.” ― Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting

No comments: