Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ed Moynan Missing

Today was a day of reflection.

This afternoon we went to the visitation for the father of a friend of ours. Mr. Calageracos lay swathed in a froth of ivory satin. It looked so unreal, I suppose it is meant to look heavenly. So this is it. This is how it ends... if you are lucky... His tiny black shrouded wife sat in her wheelchair nearby clearly disoriented by what was going on. I believe they had been married at least 60 years, a lifetime really. I thought of Carm's mom and how she is adapting to the loss of her life partner, and thought that perhaps Jim's mom might have a harder time of it.

I got an email yesterday with a link to a news article about the disappearance in Panama of Ed Moynan. Ed bought the other half of the farm that our land is split from and built the same year we did (1994). We weren't close friends, or even friends really, but friendly acquaintances. We ran into him and his wife Louise countless times and always had a good time. So it is unsettling to hear of his disappearance. We see this sort of thing on the tv often enough, but it is always remote and therefore less real. This feels very immediate. I imagine what Louise must be feeling right now (freaked out, scared, panic, shock perhaps), and since there is a face and a person to attribute those feelings to, it feels real. And scary.

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20121113150910140

On a totally more upbeat note, we leave early tomorrow morning to pick up our new camper! All buyers remorse has passed me by and now I'm just excited. It will be a long night, and an even longer day...

I'm sure I'll post at least once tomorrow! I'll be bored in the truck so will probably post a blow by blow of every tree passed.




Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.
Lorraine Hansberry

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Good luck with your trip. We could have taken Grace for you! She'll be fine though - when we took ours to Florida they often had 10-hour sessions in their travel cages - they get used to it, although maybe never really love it. I'm wrong - Cato will go anywhere, anytime. Have a good trip.

Laura said...

March 11, 2012
Ed's body has been found and identified. My best wishes to the family. The following was on his facebook page:

--------------------------------------------------------

This is to confirm that my father, Ed Moynan has been identified this morning. I would like to thank all of my family, friends, patients and colleagues for thier support over the last four months. I will be in touch shortly with the details regarding the funeral in Ottawa.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Body+found+Panama+former+Ottawa+missing+since+November/8076844/story.html

Thanks again,
Sandy

-------------------------------------------------------------