Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Blade of Grass Springing Up

The first thing Carm said after we got the trailer backed into the laneway was "the grass needs cutting". That is a far cry from when we left on Wednesday, just 4 days ago. When the warm weather arrives Nature bursts forth with exuberance! There is a certain rest from frenzied activity in the winter, which thankfully recharges us enough to start the cycle of gardening and grass cutting all over again.



Our property is big enough to justify a riding mower, but Carm insists on cutting it with the regular lawn mower - it isn't even a self propelled one. It takes around 3 hours to get the job completely done - in the most vigorous growing times it needs doing every week. That is a lot of calories expended! I sit on the sofa and eat bon bons and paint my nails while he's out there doing the manly stuff. I should do my share though - I could swap out the treadmill for some grass cutting - cross-fit style! (just kidding about the sofa, etc. but if you know me, you'll know that I'm busy doing other stuff).



This morning as we sat drinking our coffees and marvelling at another wonderful day we considered staying for a few more days. But no, too many things taking precedence on our to-do lists, including... picking up our new car tomorrow! And hopefully selling our old one. Our old car has been emptied of all its stuff, including 5 (yes five) pocket knives, 5 partially drunk bottles of water, not to mention reams of take-out napkins. I could not believe how much junk was tucked away in all the corners. We really should change vehicles more often! (or clean it occasionally).

We potentially have a buyer for the old Subaru - some guy that wants to use it in a demolition derby - oh my, I could not watch our old friend end its days in that manner - I know it is just a car... but still... it was ours for 15 years and it gave us good service, it never let us down. I can't help but think of Wall-e or that lamp on the Ikea commercial from a few years back.


If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive.
Eleonora Duse

No comments: