Saturday, May 18, 2013

So This is What Heaven Sounds Like

Sitting on the front steps after a day of chores, I finally stopped long enough to let the beauty of our property wash over me. The whole property throbbed with vital life force. Everywhere I looked there was evidence of this force. Birds were busy feeding their young. The perfume of a million blossoms scented the air. Every plant and tree seemed to be covered in flowers. I closed my eyes to better enjoy the symphony of bird song. Suddenly it didn't seem enough to be sitting on my little island of civilization - I had to immerse myself in Nature. I crunched across the gravel laneway to the apple trees, the closest destination.



Standing surrounded by apple blossoms with the sound of bees buzzing echoed in my ears I felt it. Everything else faded into the background and the life force around me washed through my limbs. For a few moments I felt one with Nature.

The moment passed and I decided to bring some lilacs into the house to enjoy them throughout the day.



When we first built this house the property was barren of everything but grass. Now, there are flowering trees, spruce trees, peonies (to be enjoyed in a few weeks). All manner of birds make their homes here. It is beautiful, if a little wild. When I think back to those first few years I marvel at the changes.




I couldn't decide between quotes (and there were a whole bunch of other ones that were in the running).

I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes.
e. e. cummings


Life stands before me like an eternal spring with new and brilliant clothes.
Carl Friedrich Gauss

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Sounds great, but I might have a sniffy nose:)