Monday, July 29, 2013

Prairie (DOG) Oasis

It was bound to happen sooner or later... yes, we got out the prong collars. The deer we could handle, but these new little creatures that dart everywhere are more than a dog can take. I have never seen Bella more wound up. We had taken them for a walk, looking or a good place to take them for their business, when suddenly we were in the middle of a prairie dog town. So that's not a good business spot...

We got back to our site to see that there were some on our site as well. Oh boy.

Our site is really pretty, but the walking opportunities are limited. The campground is surrounded by big roads and prairie dog towns. Oy. While this is a nicer site in some respects, having the lovely walking areas that we had yesterday more than made up for it.

We were talking at dinner about what our favorite part of the trip is so far. Carm had no trouble answering. He was impressed and moved by the Terry Fox Memorial Park. He didn't say much, but perhaps that was the "tell". I could see in his eyes that he was moved.

My fav part so far is driving through Manitoba on Saturday. Re-visiting so many memories of childhood was fun. But it was more than that - as we drove through the countryside there were areas that reminded me so much of riding my bike out into the country. I can close my eyes and remember the sights, sounds and smells. Saturday those memories were brought to life for me as there was something so familiar. At times it was almost like I was that little girl again. I am having trouble putting into words just what I felt, but suffice it to say, it was a special day.

I realize too, how lucky I was to live in a time and place where a child could have those sorts of freedoms.

Tuesday is going to be a big day too. We'll be hitting areas of prairie grasslands. And getting to Medicine Hat.


Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.
Ernest Hemingway

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I think our dog would lose her mind in that setting:)