Friday, May 8, 2020

a dystopian parallel universe

For the first time in I don’t know how many weeks (6? 7?), I entered a store. My face was covered with one of the masks I made and as I stepped into the store I was handed gloves. Thus protected I proceeded with the shop, helped by a similarly clothed young man. At Bulk Barn it felt like no chances were taken which was good, but at the same time I felt like I was in a dystopian parallel universe. I think I’ll stick at home for another 6 or 7 weeks.

I did get dressed into real clothes and even wore makeup, although lipstick was a bust! Second day in a row of wearing pants. Good news - they still fit!

Carm braved the grocery store and LCBO which were more fraught with danger. It astounds me that more people aren’t wearing masks. It feels a bit like they are thumbing their noses at me as they clearly don’t give a rats ass about anybody other than themselves.

Oh. It snowed today. Just a light dusting but there nonetheless. It’s been a nasty spring but I’ll try to be optimistic and include an uplifting spring poem (see below). 

A guy ran into a power pole just down the street from us this morning, he’s okay, but it caused a blip in our power and then later a 1 ½ hour outage, giving our generator a little bit of a run. I am so glad that we went for the full-on solution - the peace of mind is worth it.

I was listening to the Eagles ‘Peaceful, Easy feeling’ this morning paying attention to each note;  I was struck by how this song exactly describes my peaceful easy feeling, or pef for short. It is a feeling of quiet contentment, relaxed pleasure, a calm sense of well-being. I don’t have the words, but Eagles have the notes.

Pan and Grizzle. They were friends from the start, in fact Pan picked Grizzle out from a bunch of 4 month old puppies. They were both great dogs - I miss them. 


Headline tonight:  1,321,122 cases with 78,577 deaths in the US. There are a total of 66,326 (64,922 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 4,567 (4,408 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Daughter of light! thy fairy step
Steals softly over vale and plain,
And with thy bright and joyous smile,
Beauty and life awake again.”
~Mary Ann H. Dodd Shutts

No comments: