Sunday, May 10, 2020

celebrations

We drove into the city today to have a social/physical distance visit with Mom, Dad and Graham.  It’s Mother’s Day and it felt like a faint shadow of what the celebration should have been but at least the weather slightly cooperated so that we could sit on the front patio for a visit. But all that aside, I felt lucky to have my Mom within eyeshot… this is the first Mother’s Day that Carm’s mom is gone.


On our way home we drove past the golf course which is still closed. Luckily there wasn’t any traffic as we veered from one side of the road to the other while Carm gawked at the greens (slight exaggeration :-) 

Then we stopped at Home Hardware so I could pick up 2 little side tables for outside. Of course I was wearing a mask. It all seemed safe enough with lots of safeguards. As I was waiting around for the sales person (also masked), I felt overwhelmed for a moment with the strangeness of it all. There was no way for me to bury my head in the sand to pretend nothing was happening… no, I had a mask on my face and so did the other people. Life is not normal.

I see a potential problem with mask wearing - smiling and pointless chit chat were erased from the experience. These small things raise my mood and likely others have the same experience. Person to person contact is detached and I think this is going to be hard for many people.

We celebrated 8 weeks of isolation with a prime rib and yorkshire pudding supper. What a reason to celebrate. We’ve always spent a lot of time together and are good at being alone together in the same room so the 8 weeks hasn’t been too bad for us.


Headline tonight:  Ontario nurseries and hardware stores open for walk in. 1,367,638 cases with 80,787 deaths in the US. There are a total of 68,848 (67,702 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 4,870 (4,693 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Oh, Spring is surely coming,
Her couriers fill the air;
Each morn are new arrivals,
Each night her ways prepare;
I scent her fragrant garments,
Her foot is on the stair.”
~John Burroughs

No comments: