Friday, May 22, 2020

steel magnolias

Summer made a visit again today - maybe it’s here to stay! The sun shone down strongly, nudging the mercury up to 29C - yowsers! That’s a summer day. The only thing missing is a warmer pool.

We made a grocery store/hardware store run this morning, with a last stop at Trudie’s to pick up some tomato plants. I went into Giant Tiger and Home Hardware, Carm hit up the grocery store. I haven’t gotten used to the mask wearing - of course I wore one, I would have felt naked without, but I find them so isolating. Not only is the urge for chit chat eliminated, smiles can’t be shared either. 

Trudie’s magnolia tree

Once home we got into some muck clothes and got outside into the heat. Carm dug the tomato bed while I readied some poles for a fence. Adia was out with us and stepped into the bed several times so I raced to get some fencing up as soon as the tender plants were nestled into the earth. Like a miracle, the tomato plant will grow and produce fruit, all from the nourishment it gets from the dirt and energized by our sun. It’s magic.

Carm trimmed some branches from the apple trees then I helped him bumble the branches down to the brush pile. Time for an icy radler on the swing!


Tonight I made mushroom gnocchi… a sort of creamy comfort food and one of the few things that I make on the stove, leaving the instant pot in the cupboard. I’ve made the gnocchi by hand once, but honestly (and America’s Test Kitchen agrees), the stuff we get in the grocery store is perfectly good.


Headline tonight:  1,644,339 cases with 97,612 deaths in the US. There are a total of 81,420 (81,324 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 6,245 (6,152 yesterday) deaths today.


“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style”
~Maya Angelou

No comments: