Monday, May 18, 2020

maimed

I’m still discombobulated and upset. Just the thought of what we did to him wrenches my gut. We were giving Spike a ‘haircut on his face’... the face went well then I moved onto his ears - since he had some mats I was going to clip his ears short but Carm figured we could cut them out… I’m sure you can see where I’m going here… inexperience on the scissors and in a flash, a big gash behind his ear.

I called my Dad and then Kirsten for some advice. Of course it is the Monday of a long weekend so regular vets aren’t open. Kirsten and I figured stitches wouldn’t be viable, so I’ve put him in a cone and we’ll wait and see. Tomorrow I’ll likely take him to his vet to have the area shaved - he’ll need sedation. It’s in a tricky area.


This morning we got the water system de-winterized on the trailer so in theory we’d be able to occupy it! If Spike wasn’t maimed I’d spend the night there tonight. 

We puttered around outside for quite a while, enjoying the beautiful day - perhaps the nicest one this year. Adia zoomed around poking her nose into everything that we were doing. The smile on her face was infectious. I wish we would have stayed out longer and skipped doing Spike...

Yesterday Carm cut the grass (backyard) while I dusted off the new chairs and set up a socially distant arrangement on the driveway. Pat, Trudie & Leo were coming for a visit later in the afternoon. It felt strange to be with people - I’m seriously getting close to having a case of Anthropophobia… 


Before the company came I prepped for supper: Hungarian/American Goulash. I have a very distant memory of Mom making something like this when I was young and I wanted some comfort food. I’m not sure if it was anything like what she made, but it did have macaroni, or if you’re talking to Carm, elbow macaroni, as well as ground beef, tomatoes, and a few other random ingredients. It was good and earned a 5/5 from Carm (he’s easy to please!).


Headline tonight:  1,547,217 cases with 91,779 deaths in the US. There are a total of 78,017 (75,864 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 5,839 (5,679 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Now every field is clothed with grass, and every tree with leaves; now the woods put forth their blossoms, and the year assumes its gay attire.” 
~Virgil

No comments: