Wednesday, May 20, 2020

green

Green.

Grass, trees, all green. It is one of those perfect days at the beginning of summer when the warmth goes deep into frozen bones and eyes rejoice at the unfurling beauty that surrounds us. It is made all the more special by the agonizing wait - it was the longest, coldest, spring that can be recalled. Not today though!


Carm opened the pool. The water won’t be warm enough to swim this weekend unless I call upon my Norse ancestors. But it will be blue and pretty against the vista of green. Then he moved a pile of sod to build up the graves of Bella and Kabira. Together we dragged out a few more plants from the basement - the 2 ferns that Mom got us a few years ago have fresh green leaves on them and look lovely in the black iron pots on the deck. A big blue clay pot is positioned on the steps, ready for some coleus or other colourful plant.


In the morning I got whipped up a few loaves of bread… it was ready for a quick lunch by 1:30. Is it gilding the lily to put prosciutto on bread fresh from the oven? I also tried adding some sesame and poppy seeds before I baked it which really popped the flavour. It’s almost overkill though.

Grace was outside for much of the day, looking happy about the day as well. Adia was out with us too - she’s the perfect farm dog. She sticks around us, investigating everything we do and playing nearby. Aside from Ranger, and to a lesser degree Kabira, she’s the best for hanging around. But curious! My gosh she has to get her face into everything. It’s either a sign of intelligence, or she’s dim. Regardless, it was fun to have her around.

Poor wee Spike. He seemed to have mastered the front steps and then had a terrible time later. He crashes and falls - heartbreaking, but he picks himself up and hops along as if nothing has happened. I take the cone off when he eats, staying with him to make sure he doesn’t scratch - when it’s time to put it back on I hold it open and he sticks his head right in. No fussing or resisting. That’s when my heart really breaks. 


I got the clippers out again today with Carm as the target this time… he looked like a mad scientist with hair going everywhere - it had to GO. It only took a few minutes to shear his woolly head and I think I did a pretty good job, at least on the sides and back. I think his regular hairdresser leaves a bit extra in front to hide some of the receding hairline. My hair will continue to grow cause there’s no way in hell that I’m letting him near me with scissors!!!

For supper we cracked open a bottle of bubbles, then took our supper out to the back deck. A sparkly crown to a glorious day.



Headline tonight:  Over 6000 deaths in Canada. 1,591,245 cases with 94,917 deaths in the US. There are a total of 81,121 (79,112 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 6,028 (5,912 yesterday) deaths today.


“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently.”
~Maya Angelou

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I glad to see I am not the only who has to assume the position and get a haircut from the boss:))