Thursday, May 28, 2020

shawarma make believe

No longer a cone head, Spike has taken refuge in Adia’s crate, perhaps hiding from a potential vet visit or maybe hiding from the cone. He had his stitches tugged today and since I wasn’t there I don’t know how traumatic it was. I do know that he was subdued in the truck driving home… poor wee guy. He’ll be right as rain after his supper of raw meat ;-)



Speaking of supper, I’m trying my hand at making an ‘at home’ version of chicken shawarma. Of course I don’t have the twirling spit, but I’ll fudge it by cooking the chicken in the instant pot and then browning in a hot pan. I got the recipe from somewhere on the internet, so it’s a bit of a crap shoot. The chicken has been marinating since last night, and I’ve already made the garlic sauce, which turned out amazing. Who knows that it was so ridiculously easy to make… although the ingredients are enough to make me blanche.


It’s another hot day! Pool was still at 79F so I lingered in the water as long as I dared. Adia was running around the pool starting to freak out and then when she came onto the deck beside the pool I felt she might jump in :-0  Silly dog!


Later in the evening: Back to supper! It all turned out rather well. The chicken was delicious with so much flavour; the sauce, awesome; potatoes, great. The whole meal a definite re-do. It will be easy to make for company as much can be made ahead of time, and we could skip the pita for a less messy experience.


Have you been following the awful news from the USA where the guy was killed by the cop by kneeling on his neck? So sad - the video is heartbreaking, maddening, distressing… I sometimes wish the news wasn’t on so much so I could live in a bubble, but then again I feel like it’s my responsibility to know what is going on in the world, and that by turning a blind eye I’m somehow complicit. If only I didn’t take it so personally.



Headline tonight:  Brazil hits record high for new coronavirus cases. 1,778,346 cases with 103,330 deaths in the US. There are a total of 88,512 (87,519 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 6,877 (6,765 yesterday) deaths today.



“When he fell in love with birds and began to photograph them, his anxieties dissipated. The sound of birdsong reminded him to look outwards at the world.”

~Kyo Maclear

No comments: