Sunday, May 24, 2020

the sun does arise

I stood in the shade of the apple trees, letting the scent overwhelm my senses. Giant bees passed me, lumbering through the air on their tiny wings. I was still a little messed up from a day of serious anxiety and the grim ending of a book I was reading and needed the calm of nature to soothe my nerves. I guess I might have realized that a book written by a vet would have some sad moments, but gosh, did her dog and husband have to die within 10 days of each other?

I don’t know what set off my near panic attack - nothing that I can think of, but reading about covid-19 restrictions on getting back to normal knocked me off kilter, and I went downhill from there. Maybe an extra long sleep will help get me back to centre. In the pre-covid days I would have invited friends for supper and the busyness of preparations would have distracted my malfunctioning brain.

see the cardinal looking in our window.

I did enjoy much of my afternoon on the swing reading. Grace was in her cage playing with branches, Adia was on and off the deck a hundred times but not in a bad way. She was actually good company. Spike was in and out of the house - he found it too hot to stay out long. Carm was inside watching golf (yes golf - a charity tournament).

Today makes 10 weeks of self-isolation and social distancing for us. I watch the news and see people swarming parks and wonder what is going to happen. Will there be a do-over or will we somehow be able to get back to life and if we do, how many will die. It doesn’t seem likely that we’ll be able to be with people without wearing a mask for a long time. I read something that said even getting together for a bbq is fraught with danger and that everyone should bring their own food, dishes, etc.  A dinner party is out of the question for months...

What does this mean for our summer? Will we socialize with the family? Is it too risky? Maybe this is where my anxiety is coming from. 


Headline tonight:  1,685,101 cases with 99,281 deaths in the US. There are a total of 84,699 (83,621 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 6,424 (6,355 yesterday) deaths today.


“The sun does arise,
And make happy the skies.
The merry bells ring
To welcome the Spring.
The sky-lark and thrush,
The birds of the bush,
Sing louder around,
To the bells’ cheerful sound. 
While our sports shall be seen
On the Ecchoing Green.”
~William Blake

No comments: