Friday, May 15, 2020

chokecherry seedlings

Three little chokecherry seedlings were carefully planted by Kabira and Bella’s graves this morning. We patted down the soil of the third one just as the rain started, the soft drizzle mingling with our tears in a sympathetic and wet symphony. 

I know I’ve complained constantly about the weather this spring (perhaps the coldest on record), but actually we’ve been in almost a drought around our place. The garlic is in desperate need of water and even the grass looks like it would like a drink. So I guess I can rejoice that we are getting rain today!

It’s not like we’ve got anything planned anyway… It’s been almost 9 weeks that we’ve been in lockdown and to be honest I’ve gotten rather used to it. It’s like I’m comfortably muffled in cotton wool with only the tv and internet to intrude on my perfect world. 

At times the intrusion is nasty - I can’t believe how many uninformed people there are. So many that have no idea how science works and instead feed off the insanity of others - it shows a glaring lack in our education system. It really infuriates me! Just writing about them enrages me!

I could create a video with graphs and charts and say the most outrageous made up things, call myself Dr. and there’d be people who would go crazy to follow me, especially if I said things against the government and maybe said that they were out to control us and that it was a conspiracy. I could even tell them that 5G was causing the pandemic and I’d have believers. 

If I were to stay off social media my life would be rosy.

Back to the weather… It’s not a big hardship to be stuck inside. My spot on the sofa has a nice view of trees and grass and birds. There are windows to my left too. I’m close enough that it’s almost like being outside, but dryer.


Yesterday was nice… Carm went to Costco for our weekly grocery run while I stayed home and played music. It was a pleasant day for sitting outside - swing in the morning and new chairs in the afternoon. The red dog enjoyed all the extra time outside. Spike enjoys being out for a while but generally wants back in the house after not much time has gone by: he comes out, down the steps (may fall going down), sniffs around, goes back on the deck (may fall going up the stairs) and then doesn’t want to go down again… Poor old guy - but he has had some energetic times too.

The rain today has really brightened up the green grass! It’s almost emerald and if a trail of gold wound its way across the field I might strap on my red sparkly shoes and dance, singing like Judy Garland. Spike could be the tin man cause he’s a bit smart, while Adia would be the lion as she’s both a chicken and a bit of a dummy.


Headline tonight:  1,483,936 cases with 88,484 deaths in the US. There are a total of 74,613 (72,278 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 5,562 (5,302 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.
I wonder what will next be there!”
~L.H. Bailey

No comments: