Tuesday, May 19, 2020

a trip to the vet

I’m still discombobulated and upset. Just the thought of what we did to him wrenches my gut. That’s a repeat from yesterday, but gosh! I still feel the same way.  This morning I was up early to call the vet for an appointment. Luckily they squeezed us in this morning. It’s not like the old days though where I’d take him in and be there for the exam… instead the vet called me on my cell, we had a discussion and then he came and got Spike from the truck.


The poor wee thing had to be dragged away. He was a brave boy for the rest of the appointment, letting the vet (I think it was Dr. Johnson) trim the hair from the wound and put a few stitches in, all without sedation. The hair removal revealed that the wound was worse than we thought - my stomach lurched and I tried hard not to cry. I’ve been choking back my feelings all day.

When I got home (Carm was in the city for a doctor appointment), I found our new carpet on the step! I didn’t even wait to take my shoes off before I dragged it inside and wrestled it out of the plastic. I dragged the giant (read heavy) table to the side and spread it out so the wrinkles can ease. It’s big! 9x12 takes up a lot of space. Looking at it in the ‘dining room’ I wonder if I’d like another one to put under the table :-)

    Adia likes it!

Carm brought home a new cone for Spike - it’s got padded edges - a big improvement over the jagged edges of the ancient one I dug out from the basement.


We ran a few more tests in the camper this afternoon, and installed a 4 node temperature station (cause we need to know the temp in every corner?). Adia quickly made herself at home, finding the dog bed that’s tucked under the table for a little rest. Spike stayed in the house...


Headline tonight:  1,570,583 cases with 93,533 deaths in the US. There are a total of 79,112 (78,017 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 5,912 (5,839 yesterday) deaths today.


“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
~Maya Angelou

No comments: