Tuesday, April 7, 2020

full of peril

I started off my day feeling slightly off but more or less okay. Trying to bolster my mood I headed outside with Adia for a walk around the field. It was sunny and absolutely gorgeous, the perfect scene to turn me around.

And it wasn’t going too badly… then Adia started running after some creature, deaf to my calls. By the time I chased her back from the creek I was definitely not in a good place. Once inside the house my rage switched over to a discombobulated and anxious sick feeling. Argh. With a force of will not normally seen, I grabbed my little vacuum and went to the camper. We got the slides out and I got to work hoovering up the hundreds of ^&*#$ beatles from the floor. Once the vacuuming was done I tried to pair my phone with the blu ray so at least I could have some music. Epic Fail. 

It was plainly time to seek out my emergency meds. Normally if I was in this state I would go for a drive or have friends over, both of which are out of bounds… so it is clear now that I have to find other means to switch my mood around, but what?

I had a bath with loud music; I spent time in the trailer; I walked in the sunshine; I tried reading a trashy novel. What new things can I try?

later: Carm helped me get the bluetooth working in the trailer - I now have an escape room!

This morning Spike jumped off the side of the deck instead of using the stairs. It’s about a 3’ drop, too high for him at the best of times, but now that he’s older it’s even worse. He’s stiff and sore and barely dragging himself around the house. My heart breaks for him but there’s not much I can do to help him :-(   He needs a haircut but I guess he’s bought himself some more time.


It would have been Bella’s birthday today, and if the world had been spinning normally, we’d be in Jamaica.

So there it is. I’ve got to stop focusing on the negative and turn my thoughts to the good things!

One of my pleasures today was the scratchy creamy lavender soap that we brought back from the South of France. I love how the lavender bits scratch my skin, contrasting with the creamy soap that may have been made with Donkey milk, but I may be mixing memories. It smells nice too.

Cookies! The other day, I divided the chocolate chip cookie dough into 3 pieces - one was cooked, one for the fridge, and one for the freezer. So… today I baked 4 fresh cookies for our covid cookie break this afternoon.

Kirsten! We ‘got together’ for a pre-dinner gin and tonic. 

Tonight I made Chicken Piccata, which is chicken with a lemon and caper sauce. It earned a 5/5 star rating from Carm, so I guess the recipe is a keeper. One good thing about the stay-at-home weeks is trying all sorts of new recipes. We’ve done some good eating :-)

It feels a bit like grasping at straws...


Headline tonight: Over 395,739 cases, with 12,805 deaths in the US. There are a total of 17,897 (16,667 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 381 (323 yesterday) deaths to date.


“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

2 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Happy hour wine is our way to relax and try to ignore all the issues...at least for a little while. We are now at day 23 at the house. Today we pick up our Walmart Market order we made on line, where they load in in the car and we are off with no direct human contact. Almost no risk but no much fun:(

Laura said...

I hope you are still enjoying your happy hours. We ususally have our 'cocktail' later in the evening. Either way, they are good habits!