Saturday, April 4, 2020

hold fast to dreams

A blue sky greeted me this morning which was a surprise as I thought the forecast was for rain. Once the dogs had digested their breakfast we headed outside for a little loop of the hay field. There are a few pleasures bound up in these two sentences: the blue sky lifted my spirits and made me glad to be alive. I always delight in watching the dogs run around - Adia is effortless in her movement, truly poetry in motion. I am so grateful for our house and land. In my earlier life I always felt a restless urge to move on, but here I feel rooted.

these are both photos of our domain :-)

Back inside I pottered around the house doing not much of anything but enough to feel ‘busy’, including making another big pot of soup for our lunches. There is something nice about soup for lunch. Instead of elaborate prep, I merely dumped some things into the instant pot - no cutting onions, no sauteeing - I just plonked a can of diced tomatoes, a package of frozen mixed vegetables, a bit of spice, some red lentils and of course broth, into the pot and set it for 10 minutes. It turned out remarkably well for such little effort.

A little bit of stand-up comedy made me laugh out loud.

I sat on the back deck for a while watching the dogs sniff squirrel trails. A cacophony of birdsong filled the air and brilliant yellow goldfinches flitted about. Nature is alive and vibrant, oblivious to the upset in our world. The sun was warm on my bare arms reminding me of the summer about to arrive. Thoughts of the swing lazed in my head.

I avoided most news during the day which was good after enduring yesterday’s reports. 

We stepped out with the dogs again mid afternoon with no particular goal in mind. We poked around the yard and were surprised to see the tips of garlic poking out of the ground. Life! The dogs disappeared into the barn searching for some elusive creature while we wandered out onto the field.


I’m excited to be planning a trip to the vet for a drive-by pickup of tick medications next Monday. We won’t even get out of the car but it seems like such an adventure! I may even get dressed up 🤣

It seems that there were more than three measly pleasures in my day! Almost every minute held something to be grateful for. I realized after writing this that I have been honing the skill of pleasure seeking over the years and will now reap the benefits when I need it most. What are your pleasures for today?


Headline tonight: Over 310,000 cases, with 8,442 deaths in the US. There are a total of 13,912 (12,375 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 231 (208 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.”
~Langston Hughes

No comments: