Thursday, April 30, 2020

inoculate against anxiety

Clouds and bits of rain shaded our day but not to worry, I had a project in mind to keep me distracted from the dreariness. The tub of flour and jar of yeast got carted out from my pantry… bagels were the experiment today. 

There are 2 main types: Montreal and New York. I stuck with the fluffy NY style as I’d gotten a recipe that Shenna had tried and liked. I thought that next time I’d try the slightly more complicated Montreal style, but honestly, once the cream cheese was smeared on these beauties I was sold. I think they were way better than TIm Hortons, better than most that I’ve had. But I usually like my own cooking - it’s such a miracle in my eyes!

    I can’t wait for tomorrow’s breakfast!

Carm helped with kneading as the dough was too heavy for my machine. Like the cinnamon buns it seemed that it took all day. I’m hoping that the second time I make them will go better. At the boiling point I was zooming around the kitchen and making some mistakes which prompted Carm to make a comment - I thought about it for a minute and realized that the busy times are almost like a dance as you have to be in specific spots at specific times - it takes practice to get good at it!

 

Baking and cooking, making food and eating, has been my COVID-19 medication to inoculate against the worst of the anxiety and worry. Who knew they meant ‘Covid + 19 pounds’. Well, it’s not that bad, but I did feel a bit like I had a life preserver on and was bobbing around in the bathtub today…

Some of our herd in 2004: Dora, Ingvy-frey or was that Petra?, Valena, Rose, and I can’t see the rest. It was a full barn.


Headline tonight:  1,093,724 cases with 63,801 deaths in the US. There are a total of 53,021 (51,597 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 3,180 (2,996 yesterday) deaths to date.


“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.”
~Barack Obama

No comments: