Tuesday, April 14, 2020

rolling on the floor

The trees howled last night as the wind lashed them in fury. At times I wondered if the whole house would be shaken from its foundation. Thankfully when I woke up this morning it was still well seated and there wasn’t a yellow brick road leading up to the door.

Carm was up super early as he was playing the role of big game hunter today. It is grocery day and this is the week for Costco. Armed with sanitizing gel, hand wipes and a mask, he ventured into the city. The list was long and unfortunately he wasn’t able to get everything - no diced tomatoes (I’m using a few cans a week making soup!), or pasta, could be found. Maybe the grocery store will have some next week.

He also stopped at a hardware parts store for a curb-side pickup of replacement fridge door shelves. The other day I opened the door to a crash as one shelf broke into smithereens. These days our fridge is pretty full so we need the space!

Do you find that as the days of isolation go on the urgency has diminished? I’m not sure if it’s that social distancing has become normalized, or if I have the feeling that it has to end soon, there aren’t that many deaths. We are still being careful, nothing has changed there, but it feels less serious. (on a note, Carm just said it’s a bad day for Canada with 118 deaths so far). Scratch that thought.

And now for something completely different… I must have been in the mood for laughing. I watched a few sets of stand-up comedy this afternoon and at times I was laughing so hard the tears were running down my face and I had to run to the loo! It felt good, although there were moments when I was almost out of control and wondered if the laughter was really just sobbing in disguise. Seriously though. There was some pretty funny stuff!

And just to have a photo in my post: me with the gardening great grandparents.



Headline tonight: Over 2 million known cases worldwide.  611,156 cases, with 25,924 deaths in the US. There are a total of 26,897 (25,680 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 898 (780 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it.”
~Frances Hodgson Burnett

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Great picture! I spend a lot of time these days looking at old pictures and videos:)