Friday, April 24, 2020

the changing seasons

A dusting of flour coated every surface in the kitchen as I whirled from a yeasty task to a sugary one. Like so many, cooking and baking gives me a sense of being in control and accomplishment. Oh sure, I could be doing a deep spring cleaning but I just don’t have the motivation. Sunshine (not today) and sugar seem to propel me forward as we complete our 40th day. 

I’ve never been one much for baking - I believe the last time I made cookies before Covid was 5 or even 6 years ago. Today I made my 4th batch - peanut butter again. I think once the cookies are gone I might do another burnt sugar cake, but only one sweet at a time. We have a mid afternoon break (break from what one might wonder) with a cookie and coffee or tea. It beaks the endless day up. 

I say endless, but somehow time is going by quickly. I’m shocked to find out that today is already Friday again. On Sunday we’ll hit our 6 week mark. How is that possible? Is time going quickly for you too?

The flour flew again as I took another go at the Artisan bread that I made a week or so ago. I skipped adding oil to the bowl and just followed the exact instructions - it was very sticky coming out of the bowl but I managed to get it formed into 2 loaves. I did replace one cup of regular flour with whole wheat. The end result was great! I had a piece with my soup and another smeared with maple syrup butter - oh yeah baby!

I can’t believe how much flour I’ve gone through! We’ll both have to start wearing flour sacks with all this crazy eating :-)

In all this time I’ve hardly done any training with Adia - I could have taught her all sorts of tricks but the umpf has been siphoned from my get go. I’ve read that this is an actual thing.

Our hair is getting long. I wonder if we’ll try giving each other haircuts? Perhaps I’ll find I like wearing hats after that. I think there will be a lot of people with shaved heads going forward. The real question is: do we have a few drinks before or after?


Headline tonight:  923,612 cases, with 52,092 deaths in the US. There are a total of 43,888 (2,302 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 2,? (2,147 yesterday) deaths to date.


“To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.“
~George Santayana

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I would think before would be the way to go...and maybe after too:))