Sunday, April 5, 2020

stand resolute

I stepped out of the house this morning to a light misty mizzle. It wasn’t wet enough to make me head back inside for a jacket, nor was it heavy enough to mute the myriad of birds that sang their spring song. For some reason it made me think of time spent in England when I was young.

The ground squelched beneath my feet as we traversed the field - it will be a few more days before it dries up. Adia ran hither and thither, splashing through puddles and pounding the drier ground. Her jois de vive reminded me to smile and be grateful for the moment.

Chocolate chip cookies were on the cooking sheet for today. I haven’t made them for years - they turned out okay but not quite as good as I’d hoped. The recipe was the original Tollhouse from the Chipits website… I’ll try another one the next time, which by the way, won’t be for a while as I have a roll of dough in the fridge and a roll in the freezer. I’ll have to be strong and not nibble away at it!


This morning as I lay in bed looking out the half-moon window at the trees, I felt grateful to be living here and not in an apartment. My heart breaks for all those city dwellers cooped up in a tiny apartment, possibly even by themselves, lonely and unable to step outside. I felt/feel foolish and selfish for my moments of complaint. 
      Day 21 so I wore my dressier leggings today

Did you watch the Queen this afternoon? Her speech was motivating yet sobering. My head pulled out of the sand for a few minutes and the reality made me emotional, tears ran tracks down my face. Resolute is the word that stuck in my mind. This is easy for me, but so many others are less fortunate. 

      in front of Buckingham Palace in 1974


Headline tonight: Over 333,085 cases, with 9602 deaths in the US. There are a total of 15,512 (13,912 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 280 (231 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”
~Emily Dickinson

No comments: