Tuesday, April 21, 2020

grey sleeting sky

I rolled over and pulled the covers over my head when I saw the grey sleeting sky from the little window. There didn’t seem to be anything worth getting up for - I wasn’t feeling depressed or even discouraged, just lacked motivation. I did eventually end up getting up and pottered around the house before settling in with a cheesy romance ‘novel’ (I hesitate to endow it with such a lofty term).

Last night Carm rummaged through the wine cellar looking for the treasured bottle of Pinot Noir that I had hefted home from NZ in 2013. He dusted it off and pulled the cork. Oh my. It was probably the best wine I’ve ever had. So smooth and velvety. We savoured it while visiting with Kirsten’s family and Olaf on Zoom. The evening flew by and the ambrosia disappeared quickly.


The weather was a mashup today - the sun shone for a few minutes this morning? afternoon? so we dashed out with the hell hound. After being out for a while we glanced behind us and saw black clouds bearing down on us, so we dashed inside just as a wild wind pelted ice pellets at us. The sun and clouds played across the sky all day.


Headline tonight:  817,187 cases, with 45,229 deaths in the US. There are a total of 38,422 (36,670 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 1,834 (1,680 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Sometimes since I've been in the garden I've looked up through the trees at the sky and I have had a strange feeling of being happy as if something was pushing and drawing in my chest and making me breathe fast. Magic is always pushing and drawing and making things out of nothing. Everything is made out of magic, leaves and trees, flowers and birds, badgers and foxes and squirrels and people. So it must be all around us. In this garden - in all the places.”
~Frances Hodgson Burnett

No comments: