Thursday, April 2, 2020

stand-up

After putzing around the house doing a bit of cleaning with my headphones belting out motivating music, I sat down with my phone and started watching stand-up comics till I was laughing so hard it was getting hard to stay on my chair. Sarah Millican and Michael McIntyre are both pretty funny with not too much raunch but enough naughty to be funny. I liked her right away but it took me a few sets to get into him. 


A few minutes of stand-up will be on my daily schedule going forward - who couldn’t use a laugh these days! And what the heck! Who has a schedule with all this uncertainty? I think it’s a bit important to help break up the day, otherwise it passes in an apathetic blur.

But maybe a schedule isn’t the best thing? Maybe it would be better to mix it up to keep from falling into a rut? But maybe a rut is exactly the right thing for these times? Historically, I've been very much a routine person starting during our working days. Back then my day was scheduled to the minute as I tried to fit full time work with breeding horses and parrots. Any deviation triggered later nights and earlier mornings.

I kept with a loose routine when I retired. Not as ‘to the minute’ but my day is still on the clock. The dogs start looking for supper at 5pm and we start looking for ours not too long after that. We watch the news at the same time every night. It’s actually rather pathetic.

It's been 18 days since the earth tilted on its axis…

I feel blessed to have such a lovely life, but occasionally, usually when I’m watching CNN or other news stations a feeling of fear settles in my gut. Actual, unfiltered, reality shocks my system, as I’m sure it affects countless others. We limit the amount of news but feel compelled to keep up-to-date. Stepping outside, or over to the kitchen to cook usually settles me down. It would be easy to turn to drinking! As it is, we’ve started a new tradition: a glass of wine later in the evening as we watch Chris Coumo who is now reporting from his basement with Covid-19.

our domain


Headline tonight: World wide cases goes over 1 million. There are a total of 11,283 (9,677 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 173 (114 yesterday) deaths to date.


“You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.”
~John Lennon

No comments: